Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday, December 23

AM  Psalm 93, 96       PM  Psalm 148, 150
Baruch 4:21-29
Gal. 3:15-22
Luke 1:67-80  or  Matt. 1:1-17

In the way of virtue, there is no standing still;
anyone who does not daily advance, loses ground.
To remain at a standstill is impossible;
he that gains not, loses;
he that ascends not, descends.
If one does not ascend the ladder,
one must descend;
if one does not conquer,
one will be conquered.
--St. Bonaventure

I guess, here at the end of Advent, I'm wondering where I go with this.  "This" being the calls for economic justice. Here I live, far from the halls of power, surrounded by mountains and trees.  I'm not sure I agree with all the tactics of the OWS movement (I'm really struggling with the call to 'liberate' foreclosed homes.  I'm much more passionate about the structure that Habitat for Humanity works with to make homes available.)  But there is that part of me that wonders if I'm just the religious establishment watching that crazy John the Baptist and musing:  'Well, his message is good, but we really can't make the changes he's calling for.  And besides, his methods are way too much out there! That's not the way we do things.'

How do I 'daily advance'? 

No comments:

Post a Comment