Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday, December 5

AM  Psalm 25       PM  Psalm 9, 15
 Amos 7:1-9
Rev. 1:1-8
Matt. 22:23-33

Ps. 9:18 For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
   nor the hope of the poor perish for ever.

Psalm 15:1-2, 4b-5
1Lord, who may abide in your tent?
   Who may dwell on your holy hill?
2 Those who walk blamelessly, and do what is right,
   and speak the truth from their heart;
4b who stand by their oath even to their hurt;
5 who do not lend money at interest,
   and do not take a bribe against the innocent.
Those who do these things shall never be moved.

 After that article I linked to yesterday, we get Psalm 15 today.  It's gotten me thinking more about the abusive power that money/riches has always tended toward, and how that plays out in our own world today.  How do we reform a system that allows corporate/lobbyist money such power?  How can we elect our leaders without forcing them to accept huge sums of money?

And how does money and power affect the church? 


1 comment:

  1. When I was in Peru and lived among those who had no money, or power, lived without running water or electricity, I had to overcome my misconception that the poor were good or noble. They are the same as everyone, some are good, most have the same vices as the rest of us. It isn't money that's evil. but I would suggest it makes evil easier. I think your question is the important one, how do we limit the power of money in the political system. I don' know the answer, but its the right question.

    ReplyDelete